If you have ever broken down while driving and found yourself sitting on the side of the road waiting for help you know just how frustrating the situation can be. But what many people do not realize is that it doesn’t have to be that way. Opting for an assistance plan with your insurance agent can give you peace of mind and seamlessly address your auto problems, getting you promptly back on the road. If you haven’t ever considered this type of coverage, now is the time to do so. If you have thought about it before, consider taking a second look.
A Safety Net
With a roadside assistance plan from your insurance carrier, you can get safety net that travels with you. Deciding where to get one can prove to be a confusing task, considering that they are offered today through insurance companies, as well as oil companies, cell phone providers, and even credit card businesses. Not all policies are alike and each offers different types of plans, so be sure to consider the following factors when comparing what is being offered:
- Find out exactly what is covered in the plan, including specifics like towing bills, changing flat tires, and getting keys out of locked cars.
- See if there are additional out-of-pocket expenses beyond the regular premium. If you have to pay for a vehicle tow, for example, you will need to consider this in your rate comparison.
- Ask what their average service time is so you know about how long it will take them to respond to your request for assistance.
- You will need to see if the call will be considered an accident claim. If it is, it could end up raising your insurance rates when you use it. You will be better off opting for a plan that does not get processed as an accident claim.
- Some plans cover the person, while others cover the vehicle. You may want to consider one that covers the person in case you have multiple vehicles, so that you are covered regardless of what you are driving.
The last thing you want is to be sitting on the side of the road needing help. Yet just being on the road puts at risk for this, even with the best and newest of vehicles. You can be prepared ahead of time by opting for a good roadside assistance plan. Just as you would any other type of policy, gather some quotes, compare what is offered, and then make a selection you feel comfortable with. Don’t worry about whether or not you will ever get the use out of it. In this case, it is better to hope you never need to.